The California Academy of Sciences
The Academy’s requirements were far more challenging than any leasing requirement we have witnessed in San Francisco’s history, including the need to:
- House 25 million “things” from the Academy’s world-renowned collections;
- Address the various zoning, space and environmental requirements for the Academy’s collections, including lab space, water supply, storage, drainage and containment, proper fire suppression systems, heavy floor loading capacity, hazardous material containment and ambient temperature control;
- Build temporary public and private spaces, including a temporary Steinhart Aquarium;
- Accommodate 300 researchers and related staff;
- Showcase a priceless library of 12,000+ books and specimens; and
- Ensure that the lease dovetail with the projected completion of the new facility in Golden Gate Park, allowing the Academy to phase out of their temporary building on a floor by floor basis, as areas of their new facility were completed.